WE CURRENTLY HAVE LISTED ITEMS
► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
· FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION - ABSOLUTELY FREE - ORIGINAL 1967 STEREO VERVE LP (NO NUMBER, NO MATRICES)
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· IMPOSSIBLY RARE UNDOCUMENTED AND UNKNOWN TO EXIST PRESSING WITH BOTH SIDES "UNBANDED" (UNSPIRALED, WITHOUT SEGMENTED TRACKS, WITH SONG BREAKS IN BETWEEN THE TRACKS!). PREVIOUSLY, THE EXISTENCE OF ONE-SIDED "UNBANDED" STOCK STEREO PRESSING HAS BEEN WELL DOCUMENTED; HOWEVER, THE MUCH RUMORED EXISTENCE OF THE BILATERALLY "UNBANDED" PRESSING HAS NEVER BEEN PROVEN AND REMAINED A DOMAIN OF SPECULATION. THIS COMPLETELY 'UNBANDED' PRESSING DEMONSTRATES IN NO UNCLEAR TERMS THAT ZAPPA SAW THE ENTIRE WORK - NOT JUST SIDE 1 - AS AN EXTENDED PSEUDO-CLASSICAL SUITE, BUT THAT VERVE, HIS LABEL, PREFERED A MORE "SONG-STRUCTURED" FORMAT AND ULTIMATELY DECIDED TO RELEASE THE RECORDING WITH QUASI-TRACKS CARVED OUT OF THE ORGANIC WHOLE -- WHICH IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MORE OBVIOUS REASONS WHY THE ALBUM NEVER HAD ANY HIT SINGLES, CHARTING OR OTHERWISE.
· ORIGINAL, PLAIN WHITE, GENERIC MGM/VERVE ACETATE LABELS WITH ONLY THE ARTIST NAME, SOUND FORMAT (STEREO) , DATE OF THE RECORDING (12/20/1966), SPEED (33.1/3 RPM), SIDE DESIGNATION (1/2) AND NO OTHER DETAILS (NO CATALOG OR MATRIX NUMBERS LISTED; THE RECORDING MUST BE PLAYED IN ORDER TO IDENTIFY THE RELEASE AS VERVE V6-5013)
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE (BUT SOMEWHAT YELLOWED) LABELS
( ► PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a " recycled " image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
Here’s the album whose musical and historical significance is of truly earth-shaking proportions . If ever there was a REVOLUTIONARY album, this is it (although having to categorize this album as "Classic Rock" was something of a stretch). How many albums can claim to have ignited entire social and political revolutions? This one can: in the late 1960’s, just as both Eastern and Western Europe were up in flames of student protest, and just as Daniel Cohn-Bendit was preaching the virtues of violent overthrow of the burgoisie in burning Paris, Zappa was doing something else: he was lambasting, ridiculing and mocking everything that was petty, ignorant, mentally limited, tyrannical , oppressive and otherwise retarded. In Czechoslovakia, this album fell on fertile ground among the local intellectuals (mind you, we are talking less than a year before Russians came in with tanks and totally different social ideas). One of the local bands, the later-famous "Plastic People of the Universe" took their name from one of the songs on this album; and, of course, Czech president Havel cited Zappa, and this album in particular, as one of his major influences. Still not persuaded? Well, you will be when you hear it. THIS IS THE ALBUM WHOSE IMPORTANCE TRANSCENDS ITS MODEST SALES. GRAB IT BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES.
Absolutely Free is the second studio album by American rock band the Mothers of Invention, released on May 26, 1967 by Verve Records. Much like their 1966 debut Freak Out!, the album is a display of complex musical composition with political and social satire. The band had been augmented since Freak Out! by the addition of woodwinds player Bunk Gardner, keyboardist Don Preston, rhythm guitarist Jim Fielder, and drummer Billy Mundi; Fielder quit the group before the album was released, and his name was removed from the album credits.
The album's emphasis is on interconnected movements, as each side of the original vinyl LP comprises a mini-suite. It also features one of the most famous songs of frontman Frank Zappa's early career, "Brown Shoes Don't Make It", a track which has been described as a "condensed two-hour musical".[attribution needed]
In the book Necessity Is..., former Mothers of Invention band member Ray Collins said that Absolutely Free is probably his favorite of the classic Mothers albums.
The US version of Absolutely Free was due to be released in January 1967. Zappa had wanted the album to include a libretto/lyric insert, but MGM attempted to censor some of the songs and, following a four-month delay, Absolutely Free appeared without the libretto. Another hold-up occurred when MGM's legal department tried to remove the phrase " War means work for all" from the back cover montage. A compromise of sorts was eventually reached and the phrase was printed very faintly in grey!
The sleeve itself was a deluxe gatefold affair which opened vertically. The famous front cover photo of Frank was by Alice Ochs, although Zappa himself was responsible for most of the sleeve artwork. Following MGM's decision to axe the libretto, Zappa made it available separately via his publishing company. It was advertised on the sleeve of Absolutely Free together with the "freak map" which was originally planned to accompany Freak Out!.
From Record Collector magazine #93, May 1987 (quoted by Mikael Agardsson):
TO SEE IF WE HAVE OTHER LISTED ITEMS BY THIS GROUP OR ARTIST ►
PLEASE NOTE: THIS ACETATE APPARENTLY NEVER HAD A CUSTOM COVER; THE ALBUM WILL BE SHIPPED IN A PLAIN, GENERIC WHITE CARDBOARD COVER (NOT SEPARATELY GRADED) AND THE ORIGINAL VERVE STOCK INNER SLEEVE. ACETATES AND REFERENCE PRESSINGS ARE RARELY – IF EVER – FOUND IN CUSTOM (STOCK) COVERS.
While this acetate is in a VERY NICE state of preservation, we do expect bidders to understand that the aluminum-based, shellac-coated acetates can never be graded by using the exact, same stringent standards used by collectors for modern long-play, hi-fi LPs or singles. The buyer – if not familiar with acetate (reference) recordings - should be cautioned that these discs were intended for brief, limited use only; they were meant to be played only a few times, then discarded or destroyed. In view of this, the surface layer of the disc is manufactured in such a manner that it will wear off pretty quickly, even under normal conditions -- and specially if not handled with due care. Each subsequent playing increases wear and tear of the disc’s surface layer and diminishes the disc’s playability. This disc appears to have been unplayed recently and the grooves are still well-formed and fully visible.
This acetate is in about VERY GOOD+ (VG+) condition, with some MINOR, superficial but visible scuffs on the surface, and some light loss of surface sheen and lustre (nothing major). Absolutely NO part of the shellac (surface layer) of the disc is missing, and the surface layer is NOT dented, chipped, broken or otherwise compromised. The disc plays beautifully, with some audible - but entirely bearable - surface noise, in full frequency and dynamic range and without any distortion whatsoever.
ON A SCALE FROM 1-10 (where 10 is the best), WE GRADE RECORD AS 5+ TO 6
POSTAGE & SHIPPING :
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND (BUT DO NOT INSIST) that you select USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from one region of the world to another. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ► . While you can be rest assured that our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ► TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED; Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ► for the full text of our policy
FINE (BUT IMPORTANT!) PRINT
(1) The year indicated in the title bar is the year of the original release, NOT necessarily the year of the actual pressing; for the actual generation of the pressing, please see our item description (top section, text in red letters). (2) Please do NOT bid based on the title bar, subtitle bar or item specifics box alone; instead, please read the entire description and grading before bidding; (3) Absolutely NO order cancellations after the auction closes. ever, under any circumstances. We can ONLY cancel bids before the item closes. (4) We are unable to cancel bids in the final 12 hours of the auction; if you need to do so, please contact eBay for help (5) We are unable to provide matrix-, stamper- or other pressing information in the final 24 hours of the auction. If you require this information, please contact us well before the final day of the auction. (6) Yes, we DO combine shipments. Please click on "Shipping and Payment" tab on top of the auction page for additional details. (7) All Paypal payments must be made from confirmed Paypal shipping addresses. NO third party shipping addresses will be honored (8) Absolutely NO partial refunds: if you are unhappy with the merchandise you received, please return it for a full refund, postage included (9). Civilized people can disagree without accusing each other of being indecent or dishonest; if you need proof of this seller's personal integrity, please check our eBay feedback, which speaks for itself (10) All disagreements and miscommunications can be - and will only be - solved in a civil and mutually respectful manner; please avoid puerile, offensive, abrasive or menacing language (attempted humor is fine and usually appreciated, although overused-to-death sarcasms can be really, really tedious. (11) This seller will accommodate all reasonable requests and is generally a flexible and agreeable person (12) Our love & appreciation for your trust, loyalty and business, always and forever; Thank You & Good Night!
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.