Paul McCartney, Donovan and Mary Hopkin - ‘The Post Card Sessions’ (with 10 Bonus Tracks) CD
Paul McCartney, Donovan and Mary Hopkin ‘The Post Card Sessions’ bootleg CD complete with a massive 10 bonus tracks of unreleased demos and live recordings.
'The Post Card Sessions' are a rare and officially unreleased recording session which took place in November 1968 at EMI Studios London during the recording of Mary Hopkin’s ‘Post Card’ album. Paul McCartney was producing and playing on the album with Donovan also performing and assisting with a number of songs he had written for the album. Before the recording of the album took place all three artists had an impromptu recording session which is featured here.
The session features a selection of known and unknown demo recordings from Paul, Donovan and Mary together with some very interesting studio chat. Two versions are presented here notable in that the vinyl version accounted for the material's first appearance anywhere. The CD issue is placed here for comparison, both in sound quality and for any differences in mix (track timings are different).
This CD also features 10 related bonus tracks including some real gems. A few of my personal favourites are - a rare live 6 minute performance of Paul’s unreleased 1968 song ‘Cosmically Conscious’ (written during The Beatles famous 1968 visit to India with Donovan), a selection of 1969 live performances from Mary Hopkin and a very rare 10 minute Apple Records promo feature with Magic Alex (head of The Beatles infamous Apple Electronics) Mary Hopkin and a host of promotional material from Apple.
The package included here is one of the finest and most detailed bootlegs I have ever seen. The CD is designed to look like an official Apple vinyl record complete with a 1969 promotional Apple Records poster.
The package includes:
• Cover/booklet which details the record session. The rear features a selection of colour and black and white photographs from all three artists.
• Accurate reproduction Apple Records label design.
• 'Apple Records' promotional poster. These originally came with a select few early ’Let It Be' box sets.
• Back cover with track listing, performance dates, track timing and composer credits.
All in perfect MINT condition.
THE POST CARD SESSIONS
1. HOW DO YOU DO (vinyl version) 2:02
2. BLACKBIRD (vinyl version) 2:54
3. THE UNICORN (vinyl version) 1:06
4. LALENA (vinyl version) 2:46
5. HEATHER (vinyl version) 2:49
6. MR. WIND (vinyl version) 1:33
7. THE WALRUS AND THE CARPENTER (vinyl version) 1:09
8. LAND OF GISH (vinyl version) 0:46
9. HOW DO YOU DO (CD version) 2:05
10. BLACKBIRD (CD version) 2:47
11. THE UNICORN (CD version) 1:05
12. LALENA (CD version) 3:27
13. HEATHER (CD version) 2:03
14. MR. WIND (CD version) 1:31
15. THE WALRUS AND THE CARPENTER (CD version) 1:08
16. LAND OF GISH (CD version) 0:48
17. COSMICALLY CONSCIOUS 6:03 (Paul McCartney, Donovan Leitch, Ringo Starr)
18. LORD OF THE REEDY RIVER 1:53 (Donovan Leitch) demo recording.
19. GOODBYE 2:22 (Paul McCartney) demo recording.
20. GOODBYE 2:16 (Mary Hopkin) 1969 Beat Club live performance.
21. QUE SERA SERA 3:09 (Mary Hopkin) 1969 unreleased (APPLE 16) UK test pressing.
22. IN MY LIFE 3:23 (Mary Hopkin) 1969 live US TV performance.
23. THOSE WERE THE DAYS 4:04 (Mary Hopkin) 1969 live French TV performance.
24. PLAISIR D’ AMOUR 3:23 (Mary Hopkin) 1969 live French TV performance.
25. THE PUPPY SONG 2:39 (Mary Hopkin) 1969 live French TV performance.
26. APPLE RECORDS 1969 PROMO featuring Mary Hopkin ‘In The Morning’ 10:24
This will be very carefully packaged for transit. UK postage is: £2.95. EU postage is: £4.95. Rest of the world postage is: £6.95. Combined discounted postage is available.
Any questions feel free to e-mail me.
Please view my other Beatles items.